Baby Jackfruit Curry (පොලොස් ව්යාංජනය)
A staple and also consumed as a main source of carbohydrate, the jackfruit can be enjoyed from its tender age and also when its ripe and juicy. Loved by natives and popular among foreign visitors, the Fruit is not only a source of energy but also the perfect meal for vegans or any one looking for a gluten free option. The ever so flavoursome Polos Curry as it is known in Sri Lanka can be enjoyed with a plate of steamed rice and a sambal. The local Spices and the coconut milk which are infused in the dish adds the flavour while the ingredients may differ according to family secrets that have been passed on.
Here’s a simple method of cooking the baby jackfruit.
- Grape-seed oil or Coconut Oil 2 tbsp
- Black Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds ½ tsp
- 1 Big Onion, finely chopped
- Garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Green Chilli 1, finely chopped
- Mild Curry Powder 1 tsp
- Ground Cumin 1 tsp
- Ground Coriander ½ tsp
- Mild Chile Powder ½ tsp
- Ground Turmeric 1 tsp
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Tomato 1 medium, chopped
- Curry Leaves 6-8
- Pandan Leaves 5cm piece, (optional)
- Green jackfruit (Polos)500g tin, drained.
- Coconut Milk 240ml
- Water 120ml
- Lime juice 1 tbsp
- Sugar (any will do) 1 tsp
- Fine sea Salt 3/4 tbsp
- Ready-made crispy fried Onion 2 tbsp (for garnish)
- Heat the grapeseed/coconut oil over a medium heat and fry the mustard and fenugreek seeds for 1 minute until popping.
- Add the onion, garlic, green chilli, curry powder, cumin, coriander, chilli powder, turmeric, cinnamon, tomato, curry leaves and pandan leaf (optional). Stir continuously for 3-5 minutes or until the tomato starts to break down and the ingredients are combined well.
- Now add the tender jackfruit which has been drained off the water along with the coconut milk, lime juice, sugar, salt and 120ml of water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the curry gently simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until the jackfruit is very soft. The heat should be low.
- Once the curry is done, garnish with crispy onions and serve with hot steaming rice.