Ohiya can be reached by main motor road from Colombo as well as by the highland railway line from Colombo.
Ohiya is a highland village of spectacular scenery.
Excursions from Ohiya
- Ohiya Cyprus Mountain (100m)
- Ohiya bridge (3km)
- The Devil's staircase located beyond Udaweriya Estate about 8 km away from the station.
- Hill Safari close to Walhaputhanna and Ohiya, is a mini version of the "Worlds End" close to Walhaputhanna and Ohiya.
- Bamabarakanda Falls via Udaweriya Estate (5km)
- Horton Plains (8km)
- World's End (15km)
- Rahangala Mountain (10km) located close to Boralanda Town
- Trekking along the Railway track from Ohiya to next railway station of Idalgashinna Railway station: such are the cluster of hills, 13 tunnels are cut through the hills.
About Badulla District
Badulla is the capital of Uva Province in Sri Lanka. Badulla is located on the southeast of Kandy, almost encircled by the Badulu Oya River, about 680 meters (2200 ft) above sea level and is surrounded by tea plantations. The town is overshadowed by the Namunukula range of mountains. Badulla is about 230km away from Colombo towards the eastern slopes of central hills of Sri Lanka.
Special places in Badulla:
About Uva Province
The Uva Province is Sri Lanka's second least populated province, with 1,187,335 people, created in 1896. It consists of two districts called Badulla and Moneragala The provincial capital is Badulla. Uva is bordered by Eastern, Southern and Central provinces. Its major tourist attractions are Dunhinda Falls, Diyaluma Falls, Rawana Falls, the Yala National Park (lying partly in the Southern and Eastern Provinces) and Gal Oya National Park (lying partly in the Eastern Province). The Gal Oya hills and the Central Mountains are the main uplands, while the Mahaweli and Menik rivers and the huge Senanayake Samudraya and Maduru Oya Reservoirs are the major waterways in Uva province.