Colombo City Tour on Mini Bus
(SKU: LK61010600) This weekday tour lets you glimpse the heart of Colombo city - that living core formed from its history, culture, architecture, and people. Travel on an open-topped double-decker tour bus around the city watching the most important locations that are seeped in local or old colonial history, or are unique and beautifully built by famous architects, or even the best shopping precincts to visit. This tour gives you an overview of them all to the busy traveler in Sri Lanka who is very short on time. A very appropriate tour for a flight stopover or first day in Sri Lanka.
- Travel Mode: Double-decker city touring bus.
- Knowledgeable English Speaking Guide.
- Travel tour of all the important attractions of Colombo.
- Photography session at the Colombo Town Hall.
- Shopping spree.
- Open Deck tour as per Itinerary.
- 500 ml bottle of mineral water.
- Live commentary in English by professional Guide.
- Food and Drinks.
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
What to Expect
Your tour will start at either 9:00 am or 3:00 pm on a weekday depending on your booking. A tour guide will pick you up from your hotel in Colombo in a red city tour bus.He will explain your itinerary and start by traveling alongside Galle Face Promenade where a number of World War II cannons are placed on display. Your tour will also pass by the following attractions. The tour guide will also stop the bus and take you to some of them for a closer look.
- Galle Face Promenade - a five hectare ocean-side urban park.
- Southern Expansion of Colombo Harbor.
- Colombo Lighthouse opened in 1952 by the first Prime Minister of Ceylon.
- Kingsbury hotel - formerly Ceylon Continental, the first five star hotel in the island.
- The Old Lighthouse and the Clock Tower - a Victorian landmark designed by Lady Ward and built two years prior to the Big Ben of Westminster, London.
- The Prison Cell of the last Sri Lankan King.
- The Old Dutch Hospital - the oldest building in the Colombo Fort area.
- The remnants of British Colonial architecture overlooking the harbor area.
- The historical Cargills and Millers and Caves buildings.
- Khan clock tower.
- Slave Island - where the colonials kept African slaves in imprisonment.
- The Lake House complex.
- Air Force Headquarters.
- Sri Murugan Hindu Temple.
- Beira Lake.
- Gangarama Buddhist Temple.
- The ‘Seema Malakaya’ / Chapter House was designed by famous Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa.
- The War Memorial.
- The Colombo Public Library.
- The National Museum.
- Nelum Pokuna Theatre.
- Vihara Mahadevi Park.
- Colombo Town Hall.
- Horton Place, the elite residential area of Colombo.
- The Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall (BMICH).
- A replica of the Aukana Buddha Statue - a 12m pure granite standing Buddha dating back to the 5th century.
- The Cricket Board.
- Independence Avenue.
- Independence Memorial.
- Arcade Independence Square - originally an asylum, now a converted high-end shopping precinct and public gathering space.
- The historic Colombo Race Course - once used as a temporary airfield during WW II.
- Laksala - the State owned Handicrafts and souvenirs store.
Your bus will stop at Colombo Town Hall so that you can take some photos of the elegant structure. You will also stop at the Independence Memorial for 15 to 20 minutes. There will be chances to do some souvenir shopping at Laksala and even optionally visit the high-end branded stores at Arcade Independence Square.
Your tour will be completed at 12.00 pm or 6:00 pm, depending on when you started, and you will get dropped off back at your hotel.