Gandara Purana Viharaya
About Gandara Purana Viharaya
According to the available historical evidence, The Gandara Purana Maha Viharaya was built in the early part of the 19th century. The Bikkus (Buddhist priests) who lived in Up-Country (“Sinhale”) had moved to the Low country due to the civil war and the English invasion. As evident in the historical documents, the establishment of Gandara Purana Viharaya was done by such Sinhale Hamuduruwo who migrated from up-country areas.
Temple was established in the highland area in the Gamdora (Open gate for the village) alias Gandara on 17th August 1822, on land legally donated by some devotees. Those days it was known as “Gal Padi Pansala” as there were stone steps to reach the temple.