Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave from Sigiriya
(SKU: LK60211100) Visit 2 UNESCO world heritage sites in 1 trip. Make the trip to the Sigiriya rock fortress and the Dambulla cave temple from Sigiriya. Experience rich cultural and historical heritage and also be rewarded with stunning scenery from atop.
- A full-day private tour of Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave temple.
- Enjoy in-depth attention and personalized commentary from a private guide.
- See traditional villages and lush countryside on a drive into Sri Lanka’s interior.
- Visit the UNESCO-listed Dambulla Cave Temple, a series of monastery caves on a stone cliff.
- See the Buddha statues and elaborate frescoes that fill the 1st-century caves.
- Marvel at UNESCO-protected Sigiriya, a ruined fortress on a colossal rock.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off.
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Service of English-speaking chauffeur guide
- 2 x 500 ml water bottle per person.
- Entrance ticket(s). (Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave Temple)
- Food and beverages.
- Expenses of personal nature.
What to Expect
Sigiriya The Ancient Rock Fortress, Sigiriya 21120 Sri Lanka:
Sigiriya Rock Fortress that dominates the Sigiriya area was the capital of the King Kasyapa who ruled in the 5th century AD. The rock was once shaped into the shape of a lion, hence gaining its name. Now only the giant paws remain at the entrance to the climb up the rock. You can get to see the gardens and advanced irrigation systems that Kasyapa had built in his fortress. To this day the ponds remain full of water (though it is no longer as clean), and the remains of the walls and moats of his fortress can be seen. However the most marvelous aspect of Sigiriya, that brought it international fame, is the unfading rock paintings that continue to confuse many experts. Despite being over a millennia old the colors and shapes remain clear and bright as if they were newly painted. Once you return to the base from your climb up the rock, you can also visit the Sigiriya Museum which has some excellent pieces.
Duration: 3 hour
Dambulla Royal Cave Temple, Kandy - Jaffna Highway, Dambulla 21100 Sri Lanka:
One of the capitals of the medieval Sinhalese kings. The other rock temple of equal fame, Aluvihare, where, according to tradition, the Buddhist scriptures were first committed to writing about The first century B.C., list about twenty-six miles to the south on the Kandy Dambulla road. And the famous fortress of Sigiriya with its beautiful frescoes rises aloft like a gigantic cylinder at a distance of about twelve miles to the north-east of Dambulla. Dambulla is a scent of unique interest. Its rock temples are the most extensive in the Island, and one of the most ancient, and in the highest state of preservation and order.Dambulu – gala (the rock of Dambulla), in which these temples are situated, is almost insulated and of a vast size. Its perpendicular height above the plain is about six hundred feet. Very few parts of it are covered with wood, and in general its surface is bare and black.
Duration: 3 hour
Comfortable Walking Shoes Recommended for this tour. Drive time may change due to unpredictable road traffic. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.