We require either of the following driving licenses as required by Law in Sri Lanka (As you can be charged by law for driving without a valid license and bear all liabilities arising)
- Sri Lankan Driving License (With over 3 years of experience; 5 years for SUV).
- Temporary Sri Lankan Driving License
- International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) with an endorsement by the Automobile Association of Sri Lanka (AA)
(2) Driving with a temporary Sri Lankan Driving License
Foreign Driving License holders must obtain a temporary Sri Lankan Driving License from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Werahera (30 minute drive from Central Colombo) to be able to drive legally in Sri Lanka. The process takes about 30 minutes. The DMV is open Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 3 PM. Please check with the Sri Lankan holiday calendar to ensure the DMV is open.
If the License is not in English, a translation by the respective Embassy or any authority in each country is required.
To obtain a Temporary Sri Lankan Driving License, the following documents are required
- Your own Country Driving License (English Copy/ Translation) + Photo copy
- Your National Passport + Photo copy of photo page and Sri Lankan Visa Page
(3) Driving with an IDL/IDP with AA endorsement
The endorsement is given over the counter at the AA office in Colombo which is open Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM). Please check the Sri Lankan holiday calendar to ensure that AA is open on the date of arrival.
We can pre-process the endorsement on your behalf if required, especially if you are arriving on a weekend or during after-hours or if you wish to drive off from the airport.You are required to send us a scanned copy of the cover page and the photo page of your international license (fax copies are usually not clear enough). Note that the standard IDL/P is in the form of a booklet usually and not credit card sized (we can send a sample if required)