Dedigama Suthighara Stupa

Suthigara Chethiya, also know as Dedigama Kota Vehera, was built by King Parakramabahu the Great ( 1153-1186). It is situated in the village of Dedigama in Kegalle District, Sabaragamuwa province. The Stupa can be reached by travelling along the Nelundeniya - Galapitamada road (B540). The site is just 4 km from the Nelundeniya junction.

Suthikagaraya meaning place of birth. Queen Rathnavali gave birth to a baby boy at this spot. This boy was to later become Parakramabahu the Great (1153-1186).

This stupa has not being subject to any major renovation but during excavations it has been found that the stupa is built on top of another smaller stupa. The smaller stupa was found closer to the pesa walalu on the eastern side. This was 36 feet in diameter. It has been found that that both these stupas has been built around the same time.

It is believed that the smaller stupa has been built on the exact place there the birth took place and and then a bigger stupa was built around it. The diameter of the bigger stupa is 256 feet and it is 47 feet high. The top of the stupa is flat and covers about 26,000 square feet.

Although it is unknown what relic was enshrined in this stupa, a massive amount of relics have been recovered in it 10 relic chambers. Out of these, the the most significant is the metal Elephant Lamp.

【Text by Lakpura™. Images by Google, copyright(s) reserved by original authors.】