Balana Fort (Sinhala: බලන බලකොටුව) was built by the Kingdom of Kandy near Alagalla Mountain Range, Sri Lanka. It was a strategic rock fortress and an outpost for the kingdom. When the English established themselves in Kandy, colonizers raised tea and coffee plantations near the Colombo-Kandy railway line. Balana Fort protected the Buddhist and Sinhala Jathiya (Sinhala:සිංහල ජාතිය) cultures from powerful invading western nations such as the Portuguese, Dutch, and English from 1505 to 1948.
Many western invasions targeting the Kingdom of Kandy occurred near the Alagalla Mountains. Foreign armies were often defeated during the battles at Balana (View Point) under the reign of Kandyan Kings. Balana Fort was the main fortress established to protect the Sinhalese Kingdom from foreign powers, and is situated between Kadugannawa Pass and the Potato Range. The Portuguese tried to capture the Kingdom of Kandy. This occurred during and after a secret negotiation between King Rajasinha II of Kandy and the Dutch to help repel Portuguese attacks. The Portuguese campaign against the kingdom was a success, resulting in a Portuguese seizure of Balana Fort. Despite their initial defeat, Kandyan forces continued an offensive strategy against their invaders at Kiriwaththalawa (present-day Kiribathkumbura). Another battle followed, costing Portuguese troops 4,000 men and resulting in Kandyan victory. Balana Fort is now a historical site managed by the Archaeological Department of Sri Lanka.