Whale and Dolphin Watching Tour in Trincomalee
You will have to wake up early and travel to the Trincomalee Harbour where you will be met by our friendly crew at 6 a.m. You will then take a boat along with your guide and travel for around half an hour out to sea where you will be able to see dolphins, turtles and maybe even blue whales and sperm whales. It is a truly unique experience and a brilliant opportunity to witness the earth’s largest mammal – the blue whale.
- Meeting point – Trincomalee fishing harbour.
- Meeting time: Morning – 6 a.m. (preferred)
- Duration of tour: Max. 3 to 4 hours
- Possible period : March to September
Most sightings occur between March/April and August/September
- Children 6 to 11 years of age will be charged 50%
- Charges of the boat for half-day Dolphin and Whale Watching in Trincomalee activity
- Lifejackets – Lifejackets for every size and age are kept aboard for our whale-watching guests
- Drinking water and a light snack during the tour
- Current prevailing Government taxes and service charges
- First aid if you get seasick
- Transportation to/from location (to the Harbour) could be arranged on request
- Optional activity costs
- Tips for the staff
- Anything that is not mentioned above
What to Expect
- Our experienced crew will take you to where you can observe the friendly Spinner Dolphins in their hundreds as they play, dance and show off their acrobatic skills. The best time to see them would be from May to September.
- If you arrive between March and May, you will be able to catch a glimpse of Blue Whales and Sperm Whales that are considered to be some of the largest creatures on earth.
- Whale watching is one of the most popular things to do while in the east of Sri Lanka during this season.
- Trincomalee is celebrated as one of the most picturesque coastal areas in Sri Lanka with its white sandy beaches and blue waters. The best season to visit Trincomalee is between May and October.
- This coastal city boasts a history that spans over 2500 years during which is has been used as one of the country’s and region’s primary centres of sea trade as a result of its strategic positioning on the Indian Ocean.
- We operate safe and reliable purpose-built boats that are equipped with all the necessary safety devices including GPS, nautical charts, compasses and a UHF radio for whale watching. The boats also include on board washrooms, resting facilities etc.
- Our crew is friendly, responsible and vastly experienced. We may not offer the cheapest excursions but we guarantee that our crew will be the most dedicated to ensuring that you get to experience the fantastic experience of watching whales in the wild.
- Personal effects for windy, rainy, warm weather conditions should be considered
- Suitable casual clothing/footwear for outdoor activities
- Insect repellents, sun protection creams etc. are highly recommended
- Emphasis on importance of safety standards we provide
- Passengers according to the number of seats and not more
- Lifejackets to each and every client
- Do not feed any wild animals (yes, they are wild animals) that come near your boat as it doesn’t mean they want your food