Snorkelling in Pigeon Island
Go snorkelling with schools of tropical fish and explore the mysteries of an underwater paradise among the coral reefs. This is your chance to have one of the most memorable aqua adventures on offer.
Meet our team at the previously designated location after which you will be taken on a 15 minute boat ride to the island.
- Availability - May to October.
- Best Possible Times - 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Meeting Point - Could be mutually agreed upon.
- Children 6 to 12 years of age will be charged 50%
- Not recommended for children under 6 years.
- Possible to extend the activity with accommodation and other activities like fishing and diving.
- Avoid walking or resting your legs against the bottom of the seabed in the shallow waters as it can destroy corals as well as cause injury to you.
- Professional instructor.
- Boat fees.
- Entrance fees to the Pigeon Island National Park.
- Hire of snorkelling equipment.
- Government tax.
- Any transportation up to the point.
- Any tips to the staff.
- Any extra equipment hired beyond what we provide.
What to Expect
Pigeon Island is one of the most popular marine national parks in Sri Lanka. It is brimming with some of the country’s most breathtaking coral reefs and is also home to a stunning array of exotic marine species.
It is called Pigeon Island due to the thousands of Rock Pigeons that use it as their breeding ground.
It is located just a kilometre off the coast of the famous Nilaveli beach in Trincomalee on the eastern coast of the island.
More recently though, the island has become famed for snorkelling and diving as it is a hotbed of hundreds of species of coral and around 200 species of dazzling fish.
The spectacular Blacktip Reef Shark and several kinds of turtles including the Hawksbill Turtle and Green Turtle often visit this island.
A must-do activity in Trincomalee.
Guided by a well-experienced local guide.