Sigiriya and Dambulla from Dambulla (Private Day Tour)
During this full day tour to Sigiriya, you will visit a renowned UNESCO World Heritage Site! Enter into a kingdom hailed as one of the greatest in Sri Lanka’s history. Start your journey at the Dambulla Cave Temple. Later that evening, visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress also known to be the world’s 8th wonder, and spend time exploring archeological history and end your tour in Sigiriya.
- A full-day private tour of Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave temple.
- Enjoy in-depth attention and personalized commentary from a private guide.
- See traditional villages and lush countryside on a drive into Sri Lanka’s interior.
- Visit the UNESCO-listed Dambulla Cave Temple, a series of monastery caves on a stone cliff.
- See the Buddha statues and elaborate frescoes that fill the 1st-century caves.
- Marvel at UNESCO-protected Sigiriya, a ruined fortress on a colossal rock.
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer Guide.
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person.
- Hotel Pick & Drop.
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Food or Drinks.
- Entrance Fees. (Sigiriya Rock Fortress, Dambulla Rock Cave Temple)
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
What to Expect
Explore two of Sri Lanka’s UNESCO-listed highlights on a privately guided day trip to Dambulla and the Sigiriya Rock from Dambulla. You will be starting your tour at 0900 hrs from your hotel in Dambulla, where you will be picked up your chauffer. Ensure that you bring a packed breakfast with you, if you are unable to have your meal at the hotel.
The first stop on your itinerary will be the Dambulla Cave Temple which you will reach by approximately 0930 hrs.
View Sri Lanka’s countryside and villages as you journey to the atmospheric Dambulla Cave Temple, a Cliffside cave complex packed with Buddha images and frescoes.
Enter the historic caves of the Golden Temple of Dambulla, dating back to the 1stcentury BC. View the ancient murals depicting the life story of Lord Gautama Buddha. Look at the hundreds of figurines of Buddha and other deities scattered throughout the five main caves. Visit the Cave of the Divine King, Cave of the Great King and the Great New Monastery. See the giant golden Buddha Statue just a little distance outside the cave complex.
At approximately 1230 hrs you will be have lunch at a place of your choice (At your own expense) and reach Sigiriya by 1430 hrs and visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress.
Rising from the central plains, the iconic rocky outcrop of Sigiriya is perhaps Sri Lanka's single most dramatic sight. Near-vertical walls soar to a flat-topped summit that contains the ruins of an ancient civilization, thought to be once the epicenter of the short-lived kingdom of Kassapa
Climb the 5th century AD rock fortress, Sigiriya, where the King Kassapa ruled. Walk through the entrance framed by the paws of a lion that is quite appropriate for its name, the Lion Rock'. View the beautiful unfading murals that brought Sigiriyaits fame. Climb the steep staircase to see the terraced gardens and still-working cisterns. Walk through the tunnels leading to the palace as you get a feel for times long past.
You will be finishing the tour at 1730 hrs and returning to your hotel in Dambulla by approximately 1800 hrs. En-route you may stop at Restaurant at your choice and have dinner. (At your own expense)
Comfortable Walking Shoes Recommended for this tour. Drive time may change due to unpredictable road traffic. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.