Polonnaruwa Ancient Kingdom and Wild Elephant Safari from Kandy (Private Day Tour)
Enjoy personalized attention and the ability to travel at your own pace on this private tour of Polonnaruwa and Minneriya from Kandy. With a private guide dedicated to you and your party, you'll get the most out of commentary tailored to your interests. Visit the many architectural and archaeological sites, including Gal Vihara, the Polonnaruwa Vatadage, Sathmahal Prasada, Medirigiriya Vatadage, and the Lankathilaka Image House, among others.
- Visit the ruins of Polonnaruwa Ancient Kingdom
- Travel easily to the UNESCO-listed site by private air-conditioned car
- Private jeep safari at Minneriya NP / Kaudulla NP
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer
- Private Jeep safari at Minneriya NP / Kaudulla NP
- Entrance Fees to all sites
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Hotel Pick & Drop
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Food or Drinks (where not specified)
- Gratuities (optional).
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
What to Expect
Visit the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, which was the second major capital of Sri Lanka. Walk through the ruins of the city that flourished between the 10th to the 13th century AD. View important monuments such as Gal Vihara, Vatadage, the lotus bath, Lankathilaka Temple and the statue of King Parakramabahu whose reign was considered the golden age of Polonnaruwa. Get to know more about Sri Lanka's ancient history.
Next enjoy a safari ride through the Minneriya National Park. Enjoy the sight of over 150 elephants congregating in one place during the famous Great Elephant Gathering, which happens in the dry season between May to October. In addition to elephants, get a chance to also see many mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians in the scrublands, forests and other areas.
Comfortable walking shoes and hats recommended for this tour. Drive time may change due to unpredictable road traffic. Photography stops on the way can be arranged but within locations with reasonable parking areas.