Canoeing in Mahaweli River from Kandy
This one day tour of "Kandy Canoeing Tour" involves canoeing in a body of fresh water in what could be deep waters. All participants will be given a safety briefing, and canoes, oars, life jackets and helmets will be provided. You are encouraged to bring your own towel and a change of clothing. Our guides will lead the way, and participants are expected to follow their instructions for their own safety.
- Availability - all year around
- Preferred Starting Time - 06 : 30hrs / 16 : 30hrs(Flexible)
- Starting Point - Mahaweli Reach Hotel
- Life jackets and all necessary equipment for canoeing
- Well-experienced local guide to assist
- Water and snacks
- Government taxes
- Extra food & beverages consumed
- Any tips to the staff
What to Expect
The banks of the Mahaweli River in Kandy and its outskirts are rich in natural beauty, with a lot of lush greenery, birds and other wildlife to be seen. This tour takes you on a tour which provides a unique perspective on the natural beauty of the area. A canoe gives you a view of the banks from the river, where you will get a good view of both the wildlife and the local population going about their daily routines. The canoeing trip is best taken in the early morning or the evening, as these is the times when birds and other animals are most active. See a diverse array of wading birds and kingfishers that come to the area to feed in the resource-rich waters. Some endemic birds may be seen in the area as well. Monitor Lizards and other reptiles are not an uncommon sight. In the trees along the river banks, see the birds nest and the monkeys going about foraging for food.
The tour starts at the Polgolla Dam, and moves upstream along the Mahaweli River on a flat water bed towards Katugasthota and Haloluwa. From there, you will turn back and return to the starting point.
- Sunglasses, sun lotion recommended.
- Insect/leech repellent.
- Personal effects for warm, windy, rainy conditions.
- Light weight clothes, Trekking Shoes/boots are also recommended.
- Full payment with the Booking confirmation.